Saturday, May 10, 2008

“Sad”

For the third asset for this research, the emotion I picked was ‘Sad’. For inspiration on how to illustrate this emotion I again referenced films animation and people I asked to act the emotion.

Creating the emotion of sadness was not too difficult, with such an easy recognisable emotion I found very little was needed for an audience recognise the emotive state. However I wanted the feeling of sadness to give an empathy with the viewer, I found after including the full range of eyebrow raises, the down turned mouth and eyes half closed that people started to mimic the face, this is when I realised that the character was indeed generating an empathy with the viewers.

The head alone in this instance is very strong at conveying its emotion alone, without fail people where able to identify with the mood of the character. With the inclusion of the body, the mood was strengthened but it was not needed to show the emotion, however if the features of a character are distant the posture set by the body would allow a viewer to acknowledge the emotive state that is so clearly illustrated upon the face.

This asset is a strong candidate for the argument that the body is not needed to illustrate an emotion. I believe that this emotion stands alone from a lot of others however due to its individual characteristics, the down turned mouth drummed into us from an early age even with stick drawn doodles as an unhappy face, for this reason I am believing that some emotions can indeed stand alone, and look forward to exploring the other emotive states.



(Above) Old Asset Sad Head


(Above) Old Asset for Sad with Body





No comments: