Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Disgust"

The fifth asset in the study of emotions within 3D animations with relation to body and facial dynamics is the emotion of ‘Disgust’. To show this emotion I studied people’s responses when I asked them to imagine certain situations, e.g. eating food off the toilet floor, or checking through the smelly, wet bin on a hot summers day to find a watch that they lost. I found a similar facial makeup of people displaying disgust: sometimes a sneer, sometimes and a totally open mouth, others a mouth closed and down turned, as if the mouth itself reeled away from the culprit. I decided to go for a slightly open mouth, and the sneer was a detail I felt was a strong marker for the mouth. The eyes would screw up and frown, so I needed to be careful to not make this just look like another representation of anger.

The face I felt had a strong sense for illustrating disgust. However, this is not an emotion I feel many would instantly recognise due to the short duration the expression would be displayed. I was tempted to play with the idea with the body holding something that would show more that something was indeed disgusting to the character (like a rat being held by its tail). However this I felt would break away from the other models as no props have been incorporated. This would then lead to an additional question: Does the environment have a factor to how an emotion is read?
While not the strongest emotion for instant recognition, in comparison to Anger and Happiness I felt that the model portrayed an authentic representation of the emotion. In this instance I feel the head does show the emotion alone and the body is not needed to emphasize the feeling.



No comments: